Friday, May 15, 2015

Retreat: It's not just for the French

I spent the last couple weeks trying to figure out what to write about.  I was thinking of talking about airsoft celebrity and Youtube famous- but there were a couple things standing in my way.  First- I didn't want to end up talking shit about people I haven't met.  Second and more important (Because if I say something about someone here, I will say it to their face should they show up with a sock full of quarters.) is that I don't really know how it works.  I know Youtube is monetized and people with popular channels get cash for views- but that's not what I'm hazy on.  I'm not sure how sponsorships are structured, how admission to larger events goes, how much time is spent editing video- and most importantly, do they get paid enough for it?

So I'm not talking about that today.  Maybe in the future I'll write a, "View from the cheap seats, this is how I see it," column.  But not today.  Today I'm going to talk about a skill that separates experienced players from newbies and is one of the times when I will tell the team lead talking in my ear, "No.  Not unless you tell me why, and make it good.  Also make it fast."

That is when it's time to retreat.  Generally speaking, no one likes giving ground.
 "I fought for it, I kicked the other team off of it, or I hauled my ass across the field to get here, you can dig me out of this position."

Well, that's not always the best use of time and resources.  I'll illustrate this with two scenarios.

First:
I was at a pickup game at River City Airsoft.  I had flanked to an advantageous position in some trees and took out 2-3 of the other team.  It was now time to fall back.  Why fall back?  Because those enemy players were heading back to respawn and they knew where I was.  By falling back, I deny them the easy kill should they get the drop on me from multiple angles- which would have been simple for them to do.  If they wanted to come after me, I was making them chase me into an area further from the rest of their team.  Further from support, further from respawn and into a potential ambush.

Bottom line:  If they know where you are it's probably time to move.

Second:
This takes a bit more set up.  It was the final hour of an OP at Penn Yan Airsoft.  The enemy team was to attack a succession of friendly positions.  As my teammates were hit, we were supposed to fall back to a village, re spawn and defend it against the oncoming assault.  Each of our positions was essentially a speed bump.  We were essentially told to hold in place for as long as possible, get hit, then fall back to respawn.  For my group- that didn't happen.

After initial contact was made- we fired off a few bursts, then fell back about 75 feet.  We continued that all the way back to the village.  I'm convinced that doing so slowed the other team down way more than all of us digging in and putting up a stiff- but short fight.  Falling back in good order slows the enemy more because people tend to be a LOT slower to advance into an area where they know someone's hiding waiting to take a shot at them.  The suspense is killer.  For both sides, honestly.  It's just more fun!


Now, "In good order," is the key phrase there.  In airsoft, it simply means that people don't move without telling someone, they don't move so far they can't support team mates, and at all times someone has a weapon facing the guys chasing you so they can't just all rush up while you have your back turned.

Notice I didn't once complain about people camping.  To my mind, there's nothing wrong with holding an advantageous position for your team.  (At least nothing wrong with it a Nerf rocket or Thunder B can't fix.)  But ask yourself this, "Am I more valuable to my team here, where the other guys know where I am?  Or somewhere else, where they don't?"  Mobility is fun.  Get yourself moving, make the other team sweat trying to catch you. 

No comments: